Friday, September 2, 2011

Saint "don't call me Louise" Louis

Last weekend I flew from Orange County to Dallas (that airport is just no fun, for the record) to St. Louis. Admittedly I could only previously think of St. Louis and be reminded of Sex and the City, the movie. I remember the character played by Jennifer Hudson, "Louise" from St. Louis.

Nakiah and I flew out for my cousins wedding. There was a lot of extended family there that I hadn't seen in many many years. I mean, I had not seen the groom for over 11 years! So it was a bit strange to get to know everyone again as our adult selves. But I am so glad that I did.

While we were there I tried to take in as much of St. Louis as I could. On our first night we attended a Cardinals game. What a view from the nosebleeds...

They hit a homer in the final inning and won the game...

The next day I went for an early morning run around the arch... 



I found out it opens early and you are able to ride to the top in the most peculiar little elevator. For me this was an easy sell, I like heights. Nakiah took a bit of convincing. Once he realized that the whole thing happens on the inside of this amazing structure he was willing to give it a go...
Isn't this thing strange? It's a tiny little cable car with five seats. It feels like crawling into some sort of time capsule or space shuttle. The ride is 4 minutes up and 2-3 down. 

This is us at the top. 630feet up....

 It's strange walking up and down this huge curve and seeing as far as the eye can see. This is the exact opposite view as the one I posted from the stadium. Cool, huh.

Here are a couple more views of "The Gateway to the West" from outside...
There is Nakiah and Papa Ron and Gram Gram waving hello.

And here is one Nakiah took of us...sans arch. oops.
I still like it. It was a beautiful day for a photo shoot. Sadly time was in short supply.

Here are some other great shots from our Missouri weekend....
My Mom and 3 aunts dancing the night away.
 My Grandma "D", as she likes to be called. She got her hair did for the occasion...
 Uncle Lonnie asked his wife to dance when the band played "Pretty Woman."Awwww, so sweet!
 My Mama... (check out the view behind her from the wedding venue)
 Nakiah and Gram Gram always goofing around, even when it's picture time...
 A rare photo of the two of us thanks to Nakiah's skills...
 Wow, no funny faces? That is shocking...

So our trip was a success. Time with family. Taking in the sights (although I did want to see the Budweiser brewery and Clydesdales). Partying with my long lost cousins (too much for this old lady). I don't know when or if I'll ever be back. But now at least I have more to associate with this awesome place than just some silly movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment