Sunday, June 8, 2014

Graduation Day

My stepson Aidan graduated yesterday. (Mind blown.) My mind isn't blown because he did it, graduated… there was never a doubt with him. He's a really smart kid and a wonderful student, school has always come easily to him… it's blown because I've known him since he was 7 years old. He's lived with us full time since he was in the 7th grade. When people ask me how many kids I have I always say four. I consider him mine, even though I'm his wicked stepmother bonus Mom. I've seen him grow and change and then there I am watching him walk across the stage to retrieve his diploma.

It's a strange thing, attending your childs' graduation. You sit there listening to the inspirational speeches, scanning the sea of caps and gown, trying to spot your child… all the while you can't help but remember back to how you felt when it was you in the oversized robe. How you felt like everything was over but just beginning at the same time… how nervous you were about the next step and what life would bring. How every single decision felt like it carried the weight of the world… and now you look back and realize that tiny piece of life is just a blip, a speck of time in the scheme of things. 

It makes me think about his future more than ever. I want so much for him in life. He is such a truly wonderful person. Smart as a whip, incredibly musically talented, confident, capable, fun to be around. He has everything going for him and I hope that he attacks life with gusto and quickly finds himself in a happy, inspired, and ambitious state of living. Aidan is so laid back and I worry some that he will lose a couple of years finding his footing in the adult world… I suppose we all do in some way or another… we all have our own path, don't we. :)

I guess what I'm saying is that I hope he figures out what wants out of life.. what his hopes for the future are, and I hope he just goes for it. I hope he rolls up his sleeves and gets to work creating the life that he wants… and I also hope he makes good choices. :) …. man, I really do sound like such a Mom!



1 comment:

  1. Wonderful insight to a crossroads we all come to in some way or another!! Thank you for sharing! My fourth child graduated this past week also and I keep wondering where the time went?!?

    ReplyDelete